“Happiness is anyone and anything at all that’s loved by you.”Charles M Schulz
NOTE: I spend my Wednesdays Unplugged from appointments. It’s my day to stay home, enjoy cooking and welcome our kids and grandkids for dinner in the evening. We end our meal with quotes from the Norwegian ‘Quote Cup’ passed on to me from my grandmother. I share a quote and a recipe here each week, along with an update and photos of what has been going on in our lives. I love trying new recipes…and love getting recipes you would like to share!
We went down to Lanesboro for their annual Rhubarb Festival last Saturday with our anniversary buddies John and Beata to celebrate our 52nd anniversaries. It was a treat to also see my college roommate who married John’s cousin at their schoolhouse home in the Root River valley while we were there. We celebrated our actual anniversary on the rooftop of Restoration Hardware… they rewarded us with complimentary bellinis!
RECIPE OF THE WEEK
I figured our trip to the ‘Rhubarb Capital of Minnesota’ deserved sharing a rhubarb recipe. I picked up a pie when we were there (pictured below), but the recipe I am sharing is from my Aunt Rena, who I remember made the best rhubarb pie! This is her pie recipe, which didn’t include a pastry recipe because in those days everyone already had their favorite pastry recipe. I am sharing what looks like a good recipe for all-butter flaky pie crust from Inspired Taste.
AUNT RENA’S RHUBARB PIE
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups rhubarb, cut into small pieces
Sift flour and sugar together, add egg, beat thoroughly and add rhubarb. Line pie pan with pastry and pour in filling. Cover with top crust or lattice and bake in very hot oven (425 degrees F) 10 minutes; reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake 35 minutes longer. Makes one 9-inch pie.
- Wednesdays Unplugged – Creamy potato salad with rhubarb
- Wednesdays Unplugged – Rhubarb Crisp Dessert
- Wednesdays Unplugged – Oma’s Rhubarb Cake
- Wednesdays Unplugged – Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
- It’s Fresh Rhubarb ice cream season at Pumphouse Creamery!
- Wednesdays Unplugged – Carolyn’s Rhubarb Cream Muffins
- Where do you go to get a fresh Rhubarb (or Bacon or S’mores or…) Cinnamon Roll?
- Wednesdays Unplugged – Rhubarb Almond Cake
- Wednesdays Unplugged – Rhubarb Compote with Roasted Asparagus
- Wednesdays Unplugged – Emmerich’s Rhubarb Crunch
- Wednesdays Unplugged – Rhubarb Custard Tart