St. Louis Park is a first ring Twin Cities suburb bordering the western edge of Minneapolis. Although developed primarily after WWII, it also has historic homes dating back to the early part of the last century… and more recent developments such as the West End entertainment district and the Excelsior and Grand district with condos and restaurants/shops on Wolf Park and home of the first Trader Joe's in the Twin Cities!
The eastern part of St. Louis Park bordering the Minneapolis lakes district has more of an urban feel… and the western part bordering Minnetonka has more of a suburan lakes feel. Two major regional bike trails cut through the city, which also has its own nature center. No wonder this first ring suburb is so popular… it has something for everyone!
According to the City of St. Louis Park, 95% of residents feel welcomed in the community, rate quality of life as good or excellent and would recommend it to others.
Below is a list of 10 Reasons to Choose St. Louis Park compiled a few years ago by the city itself. Not on the list is the fact that it is where the film-making Coen brothers and politician Al Franken grew up. St. Louis Park is a pretty amazing city bordering the west side of Minneapolis.
1. Small town feel, big city amenities
Location. Location. Location. Nestled between Minneapolis and the Western suburbs, its location is a perfect blend of urban and suburban…with easy access to both. Spend less time commuting and more personal time with friends and family.
2. Safe, welcoming neighbors
With 35 active neighborhood associations, 98% of residents have an overall feeling of safety.
3. Great place to raise a family
Home of the pioneering Children First initiative, three times designated as one of the 100 Best Communities for Young People, mixed ages with 51% of residents in the 25-40 age bracket.
4. Quality choices in education
All public schools have earned the National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence Award, plus Spanish immersion options and nearly a dozen private and parochial school options.
5. Lifelong learning
Opportunities for all ages, including strong early childhood education and nationally recognized senior program
6. Leader in environmental policies and practices
City plants more than 2,000 trees per year and home of the Westwood Hills Nature Center, a 150-acre natural area featuring marsh, woods nad restored prairie
7. Technological leaders
First community in the nation to offer citywide solar-powered, wireless internet service…unfortunately, it didn't work but the attempt was made!
8. Thriving business community
9. Thriving arts community
City-supported Friends of the Arts organization nurtures creativity
10. Healthy city
More than 50 parks and 24 miles of recreational trails, which extend both into the city and out to the western suburbs; Methodist Hospital has been named a top U.S. hospital
Its easy access to the city and big selection of modest size homes make it a preferred location for many first-time homebuyers. Come discover homes for sale in St. Louis Park for yourself and find out why people love living in St. Louis Park!
- Park Tavern… a St. Louis Park gathering spot for over 50 years
- Westwood Hills… home of St. Louis Park's Nature Center
- Steel Toe Brewing and the Minnesota Craft Beer Explosion
- Sunday's Site – The West End, St. Louis Park
- Sunday's Site – St. Louis Park's Excelsior & Grand, Wolfe Park
- Sunday's Site – Highway 100: Lilac Way
- Sunday's Site – yum! Kitchen and Bakery, St. Louis Park
- Sunday's Site – Bikeways & St. Louis Park
- St. Louis Park landmark in cluster of historic firsts
- Lounge & Reserved Seating at ShowPlace Icon Movie Theater, St. Louis Park