Nestled in the residential bowels of Northeast Minneapolis on a sleepy little park side block, four churches stand.
Minneapolis Northeast is well known for many things. Its breweries, churches and diverse heritage make this area a treasure for history and belonging.
One of the many things to celebrate here is the one city block that contains four whole churches within its boundaries. Whether or not they should be noted with this “honor” by the Guinness book of world records may be still in discussion. However it is true that these four churches were built and still stand on one city block in Minneapolis Nordeast. All built between 1899 and 1911.
South of this block lies Logan Park with beautiful houses surrounding it… and some notable restaurants are found further west along 13th Avenue, including Anchor Fish & Chips and award-winning Young Joni.
So, this block is one of the only blocks in the entire world known to be home to four churches, one on each corner, according to the Guinness Book of World Records. The largest of the quad, Emanuel Lutheran (2), was built in 1899 in Gothic Revival style. In 1904 Elim Baptist (1) built its new structure next door, followed by St. Peter’s Lutheran (4) in 1905 and Immanuel Lutheran (3) in 1911.
Three of the four churches built on the block were Scandinavian communities of faith. Emanuel Lutheran was Swedish, Elim Baptist was Norwegian, St. Peter’s was Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran. Immanuel was another Lutheran church, this one of German descent.
Though time has taken its toll on these noble brick structures Elim Baptist church was renovated in 1986 and still sits proudly on that block. It made us smile when we saw a whole row of parking stalls next to an entrance door reserved for ‘SENIOR PARKING’.
The other initial congregations have changed hands and denominations over the last 100 years but the churches still stand. Stop by, walk the block and the neighborhood and look for the cornerstones. It has loads of history.