When people think of green building they often think of things like solar panels, geothermal heating and windmills… all things that can be costly and have a long payback period. But while green building can include those things, it is really more about sustainability, which doesn't necessarily carry a big price tag.
Smart green building can also include less costly things such as…
- Eliminating unwanted air leakage
- Siting a building to take advantage of the sun
- Energy efficient appliances
- Low-flow shower heads
- Building walls with 2×6 studs instead of 2×4 studs for nearly 50% better insulation
- Paints, sealants and carpets that don't emit toxic fumes
…resulting in homes that use less energy, pollute less and are better for the environment.
Building green isn't just about saving money and energy. It's also about building homes that are healthy to live in.