Actually they want it all, and they want it in perfect condition.
But there are a few things that are more important than others. Here are what I consider the Top Five:
1) Eat-In Kitchens – even if a buyer likes formal dining rooms they don't want to take their kids there for breakfast or eat there every night. Having a space for a small table or stools at a counter-top is seen as very valuable. So if your kitchen has this space, show it off.
2) Baths – the more the better. Especially full baths.
3) Home Office – a large portion of the population works from home full time or part time. Many telecommute as least a few days a month or brings work home. A designated office space is always seen as a plus.
4) Good paint colors – not orange, fuchsia or anything in-between. Neutral still sells homes but neutral doesn't mean white or cream. Always stay in tune with what the modern neutral colors are.
5) Hardwood Floors – carpet is out. Carpet in bedrooms still passes but in the main living areas hardwood wins out every time. In certain price point homes laminate or vinyl with a wood look is perfectly acceptable and still the way to go over carpet.
If you are getting your home ready to put on the market or doing some remodeling. Always remember what people want when they are looking for a new home.
Shar Sitter, owner Rooms With Style Home Staging and Redesign Minneapolis MN.
CHSE and APSD Home Stager Pro Trainer