When you buy a condo or townhouse your association likely has a master insurance policy that covers the whole complex. Although it usually includes coverage for individual units it is typically what is referred to as “walls out” coverage. That means while the exterior of your unit and common areas are covered by the master association policy, it does not include “walls in” coverage for your individual unit. If there is a fire, for example, the association is responsible for the building exterior but you are responsible for the interior of your unit.Every association secures its own insurance coverage so be sure to read the policy for your association to understand what is and is not covered… every situation is different. As insurance costs rise, associations are also going to higher deductibles… leaving individual unit owners responsible to make up the difference.

This is where HO6 policies step in and are very important. Lenders now usually require an HO6 policy as a requirement for your mortgage.

An HO6 “condo” policy typically covers:

  • Personal property such as furniture, computer equipment, clothing
  • Interior walls, floor coverings, appliances, improvements such as kitchens and baths
  • Personal liability in case guests injure themselves in your unit
  • Gap insurance for the association master insurance policy for items not covered and high deductibles

The good news is these policies typically have small deductibles and are fairly inexpensive. Give a copy of your association’s master policy to your insurance agent to make sure you have adequate HO6 coverage in case you need it.

Sharlene Hensrud, Minneapolis-St. Paul Townhomes and Condos

The HomesMSP Team – SharleneJohnAngela


About Sharlene Hensrud

I love what I do! Highly insightful, analytical and creative, there is nothing I love more than helping you find the right solution for your real estate transition. My mission is to serve my clients with honesty and integrity, exceeding their expectations in service and support… and to help others by donating a portion of every transaction to Habitat for Humanity.

Related Posts

Downtown Minneapolis gets a Woonerf between affordable housing and a 55+ community… what’s a Woonerf?!

When I first heard of the development plans at the corner of 3rd Avenue and 2nd Street in downtown Minneapolis a couple years ago I was excited to hear about both affordable housing and a 55+ senior housing community bringing diversity to the downtown housing mix. But I confess that what excited me the most.

Read More

Homeowner associations must have adequate replacement reserve fund

New in 2012 is the state requirement for Minnesota homeowner associations to have a separate and adequately funded replacement reserve fund. An important concern for townhome and condo buyers has always been the strength of the reserve fund… how much is it and is it enough to cover repairs and replacement costs when needed or will there be.

Read More

What is a CIC?

If you Google 'CIC' you will find organizations relating to everything from immigration to colleges to cooperation… but as it relates to real estate a CIC is a Common Interest Community. If you purchase a property that is part of a CIC you automatically become a member of the community homeowners association and agree to.

Read More