People downsize for many reasons. Perhaps one of the most common is because children have grown and they no longer need all the space. But downsizing isn't just for Empty Nesters. I had a young couple buy a small listing last year because they wanted to simplify and move from their McMansion in the suburbs to a smaller house in a smaller, more walkable urban neighborhood… the same thing many Empty Nesters are doing.
The biggest reason I see for downsizing is MORE FREEDOM…
- Freedom from maintaining a big house and yard
- Freedom from higher energy bills
- Freedom from a higher mortgage (or any mortgage at all)
- Freedom to pay off debt
- Freedom from cleaning so many rooms and bathrooms (cleaning multiple bathrooms is something I find many downsizers mention!)
- Freedom from space you don't use
- Freedom from excess 'stuff'
- Freedom to spend time doing what you love rather than upkeep of more home than you need (or want)
Sharlene Hensrud, RE/MAX Results – Baby Boomer Realtor