MIDWAY is officially Hamline-Midway, a St. Paul neighborhood about midway between downtown Minneapolis and downtown St. Paul. Hamline University is located within its borders, but it is close to many other universities and colleges as well as you can see in the map below…. and don't miss the nearby State Fairgrounds and awesome Como Park!
As you can see from all the dots on the map, this is a highly walkable neighborhood… blue dots signify restaurants/coffee shops and pink dots signify grocers. And with the new Green LRT Line on its southern border, access to Minneapolis and St. Paul is easier than ever.
This is a neighborhood of smaller homes with average 1,368 square feet and current average list price of $160,297. Average income in this neighborhood is $53,454, median age is 32, 49% of the homes are occupied by families with children and 49% are owner occupied.
My current listing at 1414 Sherburne Avenue is a prime example of how this is a great location for grad students. My seller bought the home when she came to the Twin Cities as a grad student. After living there for about 10 years she moved to another part of the city but rented it out to grad students for a number of years after that before deciding it was time to sell.
I remember when I was helping them buy a new home I asked them what they would miss about their Midway home… and it was then that they realized how much they loved the location!
Read what they had to say about LOVING OUR MIDWAY LOCATION… in their own words…
- The location is what first sold us on our home
- With a walk score of 80 and a bike score of 73, we could take a bus 24 hours a day to be in either downtown (and at the University of Minnesota)
- Three groceries within three blocks
- A world of restaurant options on Snelling, and great coffee and live music at the Gingko coffeehouse
- We also walked to the State Fair (fireworks!) and all of the events held on the St. Paul campus
- The completion of the central light rail line makes it even more convenient to everywhere
This neighborhood may not be as beautiful or grand as some neighborhoods, but it is grand in its own way. It is hard to find a neighborhood with more global restaurants and grocers to encounter just walking down the street as you will find in Midway and along the Green Line on University Avenue in St. Paul.
Sharlene Hensrud, St. Paul Realtor