I confess to being an ice cream snob… fostered by our wonderful, independent, locally owned Twin Cities homemade ice cream shops. When we moved here in 1987 we were elated to discover Grand Ole Creamery in St. Paul and Sebastian Joe's in Minneapolis, both founded in 1984 and both scooping heavenly treats.
Many more amazing homemade ice cream shops have joined their ranks since then, but the original Grand Ole Creamery is still on Grand Avenue in St. Paul, with over 200 flavors in their repertoire. I can attest to our many stops by parking tickets attained when parking on nearby Lincoln for a fresh cone and a stroll… it was worth the trip from Eden Prairie, where we lived at the time!
In 2007 they opened a little shop in Minneapolis, just a few steps north of Minnehaha Parkway on Cedar Avenue… perfect for a stop when you are out riding the trails. We stopped recently and I got a long-time favorite, 'Black Hills Gold' made with their award winning vanilla ice cream mixed with caramelized praline pecans and Oreos… which you can now also get by the pint at Kowalski's Markets. FYI… that gigantic ice cream cone in the photo below is a single scoop size!!!
The Twin Cities is a wonderful place to feed a homemade ice cream addiction… just ask me, I'm a pro!
- Sebastian Joe's… homemade ice cream to lick around the city lakes
- Pumphouse Creamery… one of the best ice cream spots in the country
- Izzy's Ice Cream Cafe… home of the 'izzy' scoop and the ice cream hot dish
- Milkjam Creamery… inventive new Uptown homemade ice cream shop
- Sunday's Site – Minnehaha Parkway, Minneapolis