"Summer always ends with good memories." ~ Unknown
NOTE: I spend my Wednesdays Unplugged from appointments. It's my day to stay home, enjoy cooking and welcome our kids and grandkids for dinner in the evening. We end our meal with quotes from the Norwegian 'Quote Cup' passed on to me from my grandmother. I share a quote and a recipe here each week, and sometimes some photos of family fun. I love trying new recipes…and love getting recipes you would like to share!
The State Fair heralds the end of summer, and it has become a tradition that our son and his family camp out on the fairgrounds the night before opening day so they can wake up right there when it opens for the first time for the season. My husband and I and our other grandson join them for the day. This year nephew Mark Hensrud was manning the Concordia College booth so of course we had to stop and say hi! We have been spending a lot of time with our grandkids during 'gap weeks' right before school starts. Our oldest grandson started junior high this week…and his two younger cousins (who go back to school next week) greeted him as he walked home from the bus the first day of school!
- 6 lasagna noodles
- 10 ounce package frozen, chopped spinach
- 2 cups chopped, cooked chicken
- 2 cups (8 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg or dried equivalent
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 8 ounce carton sour cream
- 4 1/2 ounce jar sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup or more freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Cook noodles; drain. Thaw spinach; drain well. Combine all ingredients, spinach through mayonnaise; mix well. Arrange 2 noodles in a lightly greased 7 x 11 x 1 1/2 inch baking dish. Spread 1/3 of the chicken mixture over noodles. Repeat twice. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and Butter/Pecan topping. Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour. Let set 15 minutes before cutting.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans
Melt butter, add pecans and cook 3 minutes. Cool completely.
- Wednesdays Unplugged – Lasagna Rolls Florentine
- Wednesdays Unplugged – Sicilian Lemon Chicken with Raisin-Tomato Sauce