It may be different for other Realtors, but if you are thinking about working with us when you sell and/or buy a home the time to contact us is when you start wondering about it… even if you aren’t planning to actually make the move for another six months or even longer.
The bottom line is, contact your agent whenever you have a question or need some help… that is what we are here for! And don’t worry about making your home ‘showing ready’ before you have us come over… again, that is what we are here for, to help you make a plan for the transformation!
Contact us before doing any improvements to sell your home… focus on decluttering, cleaning and basic repairs first, then call us before doing anything else. We know the local market and can advise you on what changes will have a positive impact for your specific home… what is and isn’t recommended may surprise you. Also start going to open houses in your area to get an idea of how your competition is preparing, staging and pricing their homes.
Some things we will discuss when you get together at your home are…
- Current market, what your house might sell for and your estimated net proceeds… possible variations based on potential impact of improvements you may be considering
- If you will be buying after you sell, what is available for you to buy… maybe make a ‘buying’ tour of homes. Does it financially make sense to make the move? Do you have special requirements with limited property choices so it makes more sense to buy first if you can?
- If you decide to move forward, we can help you make decisions on what you should do to make your home have greatest appeal… improvements should match the market for your particular home and neighborhood
- Our services also include bringing in a professional stager to help make decisions on things such as paint colors and decor… staging is very different from decorating, and sets the stage so buyers picture themselves living in your home
- If where you live requires a city inspection before you sell, be sure to have that completed before hiring anyone to come in and do any work… coordinate required repairs to be done at the same time
Stay in touch with us as you make progress on your plan. The two most difficult parts of getting ready to sell are often… declutter, then declutter again, then declutter again!… and CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN every nook and cranny including closets, drawers, cupboards, garage, ceilings and light fixtures, and mostly importantly kitchens and bathrooms.