Looking for an affordable neighborhood with a high percentage of families with children who own their homes? Check out Standish neighborhood in south Minneapolis. It has one of the highest combinations of percentage of families with children, 54%… and owner occupied homes, 76%.
The Standish neighborhood borders the LRT light rail line to downtown Minneapolis, the airport and Mall of America on the east and Cedar Avenue on the west which becomes Hwy 77, with easy access to Hwy 62 and cities south of the river. It is also close to Lake Nokomis and Minnehaha Parkway, Minnehaha Falls… and the Ford Bridge to St. Paul and a myriad of universities and colleges. No wonder it is a neighborhood in high demand!
I listed a charming home for sale in this neighborhood last Thursday around noon… and had a offer which we accepted by that evening!There are currently 27 Standish neighborhood houses for sale in Minneapolis, ranging in price from $59,500 to $349,789… average price of $182,590.
My sellers of that Standish house for sale are only leaving because of a once-in-a-lifetime job opportunity… they are sorry to be leaving. They put together a list of things they love about living in this neighborhood… great to hear it directly from the people who live here!
We have enjoyed the location and community even more than we imagined.
Here are some of the things we have enjoyed…
- Our neighbors are amazing. We have a very active block captain who helps to ensure that everyone knows everyone else. We are very close friends with several of the families on the block. Our in-home daycare is another family just 2 blocks away.
- Sibley Community Center, free ice skating all winter. Classes (tumbling), inexpensive community events (Pancake breakfast, movies in the park, cookouts). Amazing soccer games on the weekends. The playground is fine but all due for an update in the next year.
- Lake Hiawatha splash pad and party room. Perfect for a quick walk on a pretty day
- Running the 'loop' in the Sibley meadow and playing Frisbee/picnicking in the green space
- The newly renovated Roosevelt library
- Shops at 42nd and 38th are almost all you'd ever need: Buster's gastropub has amazing beer flights and tasty food. A Baker's Wife has the best donut holes (fresh and hot!) we've ever had. The Angry Catfish coffeeshop and bike store will get you and your ride up and going. We make weekly trips to Ace Hardware, run almost entirely by one family. Dr. Amos is an incredible Vet. Bill's Chinese is some of the best take-out we've had.
- Bike lane on 40th Ave or go a few blocks south to the Parkway or north to the Midtown Greenway
- Half a mile to the light rail station. Two blocks to Cedar metro bus stop.
- Right in between midtown Farmer's Market (Saturdays) and Kingsfield Farmer's Market (Sundays)
- Zumba and dance classes at Social Dance Studio
- Homebrew and vintage games at the Chatterbox
- The new gastropub Northbound Smokehouse Brewpub
- One of the best butcher's in the city is at 38th and Cedar
- Restaurants at 42nd and Cedar: Pupuseria and Collosal Café are great casual dining spots
- Our neighborhood is the original home of e-democracy.org. SENA (Standish-Ericsson Neighborhood Association) is the most active neighbor forum so you we have a strong online community.
- Sunday's Site – A Baker's Wife, Minneapolis