Home designers and builders speaking at the recent International Builders Show in Las Vegas said that today's buyers are seeking cost-effective features and rejecting things that don't have lasting value. Space is all about family togetherness – casual living, entertaining and flexible spaces.
This matches what I see buyers looking for. Kitchens are back as the heart of the home… now preferred open to living space for a sweeping entertaining space. Kitchens seem to be where people have gathered for years… now homeowners are being more intential about making it a central gathering and entertaining spot!
- Large kitchens with islands
- Energy efficiency, including energy-efficient appliances, super insulation and high-efficiency windows
- Home offices
- Main-floor master suite
- Outdoor living space
- Ceiling fans
- Soaking tub and/or an oversize shower with a seating area in master suite
- Stone and brick exteriors rather than stucco or vinyl
- Community walking paths and playgrounds
- 2-3 car garages
SOURCE: REALTOR Mag (02/01/2010)